Elizabeth Banks and Keri Russell talk ‘fun’ of ‘Cocaine Bear’

Elizabeth Banks and Keri Russell talk ‘fun’ of ‘Cocaine Bear’



Millions of dollars worth of cocaine dropped from the sky early today onto a driveway in Knoxville, Tennessee Okay, that was a real news story from back in 1985 Four months after that report a bear was found dead from ingesting copious amounts of cocaine But what might have happened if that bear had lived what if it went on to hunt for even more drugs? Well, that is the premise for this new comedy thriller. It's actually called cocaine bear We're gonna chat with its director Elizabeth Banks and its star Carrie Ruslan just a moment, but first I'll look at the film Listen to Kendrick Have you ever done cocaine? Why do you ask? Just wondering if it has long term side effects for the bear of course If it just did a little bit. Well, it could create a habit for the bear What if I never want to do it again? Oh, then it should be fine But mama bear and papa bear will be very angry Okay, here we go Elizabeth and Carrie We're just catching up You directed this and did you then then let's start with the name because that's really what's catching everybody everyone I know it's it's not a true, you know title based on something else, but you fought for this time I think nobody can believe that they allowed us to keep the title, right? So the movie is it's very audacious Yeah bold. I read the script it said cocaine Baron and I said I really want to do this But I someone's got to promise me we're not gonna have to change the title And we all held hands and we did it now we get to talk about cocaine bear on the today Well, I love that in other countries they named it different things. Oh, yes, my favorite in Spain. It's called also Viscoso is that right? She also the vicious bear. Yeah, okay? Okay, in France, it's called straight up crazy bear.

That's right Okay, okay, Portugal is called or a so do pull Franco, which is what the white powder white powder bear That's what it's called. Yeah, there's also one that's like Like oh so in toxicado Oh, so Kerry this script comes to you. What when did you why did you say yes? What was it about the concept? Well, you and I were talking about something completely different Yeah, that's right, and we were in it was like the height of COVID and and the world was so intense and You were like you want to read this crazy thing and I was like, yeah and it was just like a true just complete departure from our Stresses and everything that was going on in the world and it was just crazy enough that I was like yes, I let's go do this Yes, that's exactly right. Was it weird acting opposite a crazed bear like no What what was better is it's really like all the close-ups are like Liz shouting from the back And and and he's biting his leg off. There's blood everywhere And that's what you're doing and then the bear's attacking him and he's eating him That was actually that is What was it like directing this thing because this is like nothing you've ever done obviously, you know, honestly What Kerry said is right? I read the script to is like the height of the pandemic There was chaos raining everywhere, and I really felt like there's nothing more chaotic than a bear on Cocaine running through the woods So directing this was almost a way to like tame the the the messiness of the world You know yeah, it was actually kind of cathartic as an artist to just go and be together and work on something and Know that at the end of the day, we're just gonna entertain people. It's just fun Just fun. Yeah, you know that world was too dark and stormy.

We needed just something bright and fun. Yep Jesse Tyler Ferguson is in this y'all had some crazy moments and scenes She cannot stop laughing you couldn't I was crying I was like this unfortunately thin Pink suit and I was always in danger of like peeing my pants So much fun in this and it also is a film that stars Ray Liotta. Yes who we lost Describe what it was like working with him and what just your impressions, you know He came so joyfully to set every day. He never said no to a single thing I asked him to do I said listen, I think I want you to wear this like crazy wig. He was like, okay, thanks You know came I want you to do these stunts. Okay. I want you to wear pink shirt Sure, he read the script and asked for more jokes.

You know, I think he was so charming Yeah, he has such a mischievous little twinkle in his eye, right? And that's what that's what this character required It's what he brought to set you my favorite memory of him honestly as we shot the the film We all lived in a little town called Dalkie in South of Dublin We shot the movie in Ireland and he came I happened to spy him I was in a shop and he and his fiance JC were walking down the street arm and arm with a little doggy bag Laughing they clearly were coming from dinner. Mm-hmm. And that's how I think about him arm and arm with a woman He loved having the time of his life. That is so sweet So if people were watching this segment going should I go see that? Why should they go see this movie? Why shouldn't they? Yeah, I mean the name alone You're gonna want it this some stuff goes down in this movie and you're gonna want to know you got you're not gonna be the one That one that can't talk about it Monday morning And it's just go with your friends and laugh and scream well, it's a total fun ride. Well first of all I love your friendship. That's the other thing you can tell you know You can always tell when you're interviewing like people who are really friends. So anyway, thanks you guys for coming We really appreciate it.

Bye. Have a nice by the way They're coming back with more members of the cast yeah coming up on the third hour and you can watch cocaine bear from our sister company Universal Pictures it's in theaters everywhere it starts Friday February 24th. Thanks again guys. We appreciate it. Hey, thanks for watching Don't miss the today show every weekday at 11 a.m. Eastern 8 Pacific on our streaming channel today all day to watch head to today Dot com slash all day or click the link right here.



Al Roker, Entertainment, Food, Hoda Kotb, International News, Money, Natalie Morales, Savannah Gutherie, Sports, Style, Today, Today Show, breaking news, concerts, domestic news, health, home, interviews, media, parents, pets, politics, shopping, weather

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post