Elon Musk on Sam Altman and ChatGPT: I am the reason OpenAI exists

Elon Musk on Sam Altman and ChatGPT: I am the reason OpenAI exists



Open AI, I mean you seem somewhat frustrated with them. You were one of the big contributors early on The reason I am the reason opening I exists So I'm not sure the exact number, but it's some some number on the order of $50 million. So the hot Man fate loves irony next level so I Used to be close friends with Larry Page and I would say at his house and we'd have these conversations long into the evening about AI and I would I would be constantly urging him to be careful about the danger of AI and and any He just he was really not concerned about the danger of AI and was quite cavalier about it and And and at the time Google especially after their acquisition of DeepMind had three quarters of the world's AI talent They had obviously a lot of computers and a lot of money So it was a unipolar world for for AI and and she got a unipolar world But but the the person who controls that does not or at least did not seem to be concerned about AI safety That that's not that sound like a real problem. So And then the final straw was Larry calling me a speciest for being Prohuman consciousness instead of machine consciousness. I'm like, well, yes, I guess I am my I am a speciest and So right so you help to the creation of open AI you put yes much as 50 million More than help they wouldn't exist without me wouldn't exist without you. I came up with a name The name open AI refers to open source So the intent was what's the okay? So what was the opposite? What's the opposite of? Of Google would be a an open source nonprofit because Google is closed source for profit And that profit motivation can be potentially dangerous So should you've gotten governance for that money should you have gotten some level of control perhaps in retrospect? Yeah, I fully admit to being a huge idiot here so Anyway, so so open AI was like meant to be opening I open as an open source. It was created as a by one C3 and But but so so part of it is also in the beginning I thought look this is this is probably a hopeless endeavor How could we possibly compete with how could opening I possibly compete with with Google DeepMind? I mean this this seemed like an ant against an elephant, you know, which is not a contest and I was also I mean I Was instrumental in recruiting that the key scientists and engineers most specifically most notably Ilya Sotskyer in fact Ilya went back and forth several times because He would say he's gonna join open AI then demos would convince him not to then I I would convince him to do so then And this went back and forth several times and ultimately decided to join open AI and really Ilya joining was the Was the linchpin for opening I being ultimately successful.

You're very disappointed in what's happened there in terms of it becoming a for-profit Action I do think that there's some Look it does seem weird that something can be a a non-profit Open source and somehow transform itself into a for-profit closed source I mean this would be like like let's say you funded an organization to save the Amazon rainforest instead They became a lumber company And chopped out in the forest and sold it for money and you'd be therefore like well wait a second That's the exact opposite of what I gave the money for Yeah, is that legal that doesn't seem legal? and if it is and in general if it is legal to Start a company as a non-profit and then take the IP and transfer it to a for-profit That then makes tons of money Shouldn't everyone start shouldn't that be the default? and And and then I also think it's important to understand the Like like when push comes to shove let's say they do create some some digital super intelligence Almost godlike intelligence. Well, who's in control? Yeah, and and what is exactly is the relationship between open AI and Microsoft? And I do worry that Microsoft actually may be more in control than say the leadership team at openly I realizes I mean Microsoft has part of the Microsoft's investment They have rights to all of the software all of the model weights and everything necessary to run the inference system So they essentially have a great deal of control At any point Microsoft could cut off open AI.



Squawk on the Street, CNBC, business news, finance stock, stock market, news channel, news station, breaking news, us news, world news, cable, cable news, finance news, money, money tips, financial news, stock market news, stocks

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post