Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant on emergency power, IAEA says

Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant on emergency power, IAEA says



How can we sit here in this room this morning and allow this to happen? Saporizhya nuclear power plant is running on emergency diesels. The last line of defence. This is the sixth time. Let me say it again. This is the sixth time that the Saporizhya nuclear power plant has lost all off-site power and has had to operate in this emergency mode. Let me remind you. This is the largest nuclear power station in Europe, operating for the sixth time under emergency diesel generators.

What are we doing? How can we sit here in this room this morning and allow this to happen? This cannot go on. I am astonished by the complacency. Yes, the complacency. What are we doing to prevent this from happening? We are the IAEA. We are meant to care about nuclear safety. Each time we are rolling a dice. And if we allow this to continue time after time, then one day our luck will run out.

I call on everyone in this room today and elsewhere. We must commit to protect the safety and security of the plant. And we need to commit now what we need is action. And we know what this means. I will continue. I will continue my urgent consultations and contacts to protect the Saporizhya nuclear power plant. Please support me.

Thank you very much.



reuters, news, top news, headlines, breaking news, news today, thomson reuters, reuters youtube, markets today, bloomberg, World, Politics, Military conflict, Death

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post