Anthony Volpe: "I'm not really close to my ceiling yet"

Anthony Volpe: "I'm not really close to my ceiling yet"



Anthony, this is your first spring training and it's been a special one for you. How has spring training matched what you envisioned it would be coming in? Yeah, this is my first camp. So there's just so much excitement on my end to just kind of immerse myself in the clubhouse with all the guys and the whole staff. So it's lived up to everything and just taking that as a big learning opportunity, learning experience and just being able to go out in place. That's been a ton of fun too. Within that learning process and that immersion process, what are some of the most valuable lessons you feel you've learned this spring? I just think watching guys' routines and how they get ready for a game one but then kind of the long haul of the season has been something that I haven't really been exposed to that much. So I just think little things like that, how they approach early stretch, early cages, working out after the game, stuff like that.

So I've definitely taken a lot of things from those types. And talking with the Yankee people who have watched you hit for a long time, they took about how mature and selective you are at the plate, especially for a young player. Where did you develop that approach? Thanks. I think a lot of credit goes to our hitting department, hitting staff and they really put a big emphasis on getting your pitch and when you get it trying to hit it hard. So a lot of the training we do under the cages, even on the field, is challenging and I think that's kind of what helps prepare me and the rest of the players and especially I guess the young players coming through the system is we're challenging ourselves every day and just trying to get as ready for the actual game as possible. Less than a week before opening day, the battle for the shortstop position has been one of the biggest stories in camp, if not the biggest story. With all that swirling around you, how do you remain so even keeled about just doing your job every day? For me, I guess it's not too difficult.

Like I said, I mean we have a great support staff, great teammates that just help you be in the present every single day and go out and compete and try and put your best foot forward. But yeah, I just think my support system and everything else, just nothing's really too different and it allows me to focus on playing. And final question, how confident are you that you've done enough this spring to prove to the Yankees you could and should be the starting shortstop? I just think it's all about development. I'm super happy with, I feel like how I even came in in January and the work I've been able to put in and getting better and keep improving. So regardless of where I stand, I just think that I'm not really close to my ceiling yet so there's a lot of hard work to be done and I'm motivating and confident that with all the people in this organization that they'll help me out and help get me there. Thanks for the time, Anthony. I appreciate it.



mlb, new york yankees, baseball, aaron judge, giancarlo stanton, carlos rodon, gerrit cole, luis severino, nestor cortes, anthony rizzo, jasson dominguez, anthony volpe, harrison bader, jose trevino, nba, basketball, brooklyn nets, kyrie irving, kevin durant, joe harris, ben simmons, wnba, sabrina ionescu, rebecca lobo, new york liberty, nycfc, home run, goal, highlight, video, interview, swing, shot, hit, mechanics, fun, funny, derek jeter, babe ruth, alex rodriguez, vince carter, YES

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post