Folarin Balogun on Decision to Represent the USMNT

Folarin Balogun on Decision to Represent the USMNT



So just talk about your decision to represent the United States. Yeah, so my decision to represent the United States, we came together with my family and we decided it would be the right thing for me. The country I was born in, so I'm in India and it became a no-brainer, but for sure it's just something that I wanted to do and it feels like I'm at home here. What was your family's response when you told them about your decision? Yeah, so initially I went to them and said it was something that I wanted to do, represent the United States and they agreed. They thought my mum was saying what took you so long. So I mean we was all on the same page and then as soon as we finished the conversation, I just sent a message off to my agent to say let's make this happen. What does it mean to you personally to represent the United States to a place that you were born? Yeah, for me to represent the United States means a lot, more than people know.

Across all sports when I was growing up, I just knew the United States would just dominate and win, especially at the Olympics. I would just always see them picking up gold medals, so for me to now have the opportunity to represent them, it means a lot to me and I just hope I can bring that prestige and winning mentality over in Tosoka. What's your impression of the current US team and your teammates moving forward? Yeah, I mean I think we all saw them at the World Cup. I think a really young energetic squad and for sure the potential of the squad is amazing, so definitely with me coming into it, I feel like I can add just my qualities and what really come through in the next few years. What were your conversations like with the coaches from US? Yeah, the conversations I had with the coach was very brief, so we spoke numerous times but just very brief conversations. He was just obviously telling me about the plan and how much he wants me to join, and of course I just told him that I'm keen and I understood the project, so it was just a matter of when, but definitely we did speak a few times but just brief conversations. Looking forward to now your first camp with the US team, what are you hoping to accomplish in your first time with the group? Yeah, of course, so luckily for me my first time is going to be in a competitive tournament, so of course the ambition is to win and there's not really much to it.

I think I'm going to have the opportunity to train with the boys and just get to know everyone, but for sure straight down to business when we head over to Vegas. Your first match could be against our biggest rival in Mexico, what would it mean for you to have that be your first camp for the United States? Yeah, I mean it's amazing, for sure. I like to play under big games and it's something that every young player should be aspiring to do, so for me having the opportunity to play against Mexico in a rivalry will be amazing and hopefully I can make the difference. The 2026 World Cup is coming to North America and the United States, what would it be like to play in a World Cup in your home country? Yeah, I mean it's almost too good to be true, you know, to obviously have the World Cup in America is just crazy. And then to be, of course, the host nations and then my first World Cup, it just all came together really nicely, so I just think some things are meant to be and definitely just feels like it's meant to be. Along the way here, you saw a lot of support and reaction from the US fans, what did that, like what was your reaction when you saw all the US supporters chiming in on social media and everything that were really encouraging you to choose the US? Yeah, I mean my reaction was I was a bit overwhelmed, I think I knew the US is obviously a big country but I didn't realise just how many people was involved in soccer, especially, I mean, every time I just went on social media I was just seeing loads of comments, people saying I should choose to represent the US and I mean, it's nice to really, to feel that appreciation, for sure.



Association Football (Sport), EEUU, Estados Unidos, Sports, U.S. Soccer, U.S. Soccer Federation, USA, USSF, United States, folarin balogun, football, futbol, soccer, usmnt

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post