Bob Huggins apologizes for using homophobic slur on local radio show

Bob Huggins apologizes for using homophobic slur on local radio show



former longtime UC men's basketball coach Bob Huggins in hot water tonight accused of making homophobic comments during a live radio interview today and thanks for joining us at 11 o'clock I'm Sherry Pellello and I'm Mike Dardis Huggins was talking about the rivalry between his former program UC and Xavier University on Bill Cunningham's afternoon talk show on 700 WLW he references an incident at the Crosstown shootout many years ago and then makes a disparaging comment a few times about Catholics and then uses that homophobic slur so just hours later Huggins releasing an apology on social media saying in part quote I used a completely insensitive and abhorrent phrase that there is simply no excuse for and I won't try to make one here I deeply apologize to the individuals I have offended as I have shared with my players over my 40 years of coaching there are consequences for our words and actions and I will fully accept any coming my way I am ashamed and embarrassed and heartbroken for those I have hurt I must do better and I will now there could be a lot of fallout from Huggins comments which only adds to his complex legacy in Cincinnati sports the remarks during that live radio broadcast today catching some of his friends and former players by surprise WLWT News 5 Jeterra McGee has reaction from one of his former players on that final four team this is an interview you'll see only here on WLWT Jeterra and Mike and Cherie he is standing by his former coach's side Bob Huggins was talking about the rivalry between his former program at UC and Xavier when he made a few comments he likely wishes he could take back Huggins issued that apology within hours of using a homophobic slur multiple times during that live radio broadcast now host book hunting him laughed and referred to Huggins as the best ever after that Huggins coach that you see for 16 years from 1989 to 2005 he led the men's basketball team to its last trip to the final four before mutually parting ways with the university about a decade later tonight I talked with Terry Nelson who played under Huggins at UC from 91 to 93 including the final four in elite eight years he's now a radio analyst for UC men's basketball here's how he heard the news about his former coach somebody texts and say is hugs done and it got into our chat thread and I was like this is this can't be real I said I know he's uh you know he doesn't have a filter at times he's just real and I just think that this was not possible that he would say something like this Nelson said he knows in his heart Huggins is sorry for offending anyone but he hasn't reached out to him about the situation he said he catches up with Huggins along with other players whenever Huggins is in Cincinnati Nelson says he's worried this will be the end of Huggins career and he thinks he deserves another chance to retire from WVU if he goes out like this it would be disheartening for a lot of people because we just know I know personally what he has meant to me not having a father he's been a father figure he want to walk off on his own terms and I'm still hoping that he can walk off on his own terms is going to have to be some type of penalty that's going to be paid I just hope it's not being paid with his job Nelson said Huggins saw today how your world can flip upside down with just one statement some people are calling for Huggins to resign Nelson hopes that it just doesn't come to that Jeterra McGee WNBT News 5. Alright Jeterra so in West Virginia Huggins was expected to attend today's coaches caravan. Yeah but when WVU athletic director Ren Baker arrived he told reporters Huggins would not be attending the event due to a quote conflict. Take a listen. We put out the statement earlier tonight you guys saw coaches statement we really don't have anything else at this time I was on my way here so hadn't had a chance to even really get all the facts and information but soon as soon as we do then we'll have a follow up. Have you talked to coach Huggins yet or I talked to him briefly. Yes sir.

We were told that he was supposed to be here and now told that he was not scheduled to attend is that because of the statements that he made he had a conflict won't be able to attend tonight. West Virginia University releasing a statement tonight in response to the comments stating quote coach Huggins remarks today on a Cincinnati radio show were insensitive offensive and do not represent our university values. Coach Huggins has since apologized. West Virginia University does not condone the use of such language and take such actions very seriously. The situation is under review and will be addressed by the university and its athletic department.



Cincinnati

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post