'What movies are made of': Timberwolves' Karl-Anthony Towns talks return from calf injury

'What movies are made of': Timberwolves' Karl-Anthony Towns talks return from calf injury



Screwed up, Carl. Oh, exactly. I went home. I read my script for the NBA. Of course, no. Like I said, this is what movies is made of. You come back, 51 games, missing sellout crowd, Target Center.

And you get the ball with seven seconds left, no timeouts. You got to make it. I mean, it doesn't get better than that. It doesn't get better than that. So to be able to come up big for my teammates was all I've ever wanted to do. Sitting on the sideline, I just wanted to be out there to help them and contribute to winning. And I'm glad I was able to do that tonight.

How did the body feel out there after? Good, good. I honestly could tell you I didn't know. I played 26. It felt like I played 35. But I feel good. Just being aggressive, trying to find my spots. I'm always not trying to step on toes.

I'm just trying to be aggressive, assert myself into the game. I felt like I did that tonight. Even with shots not falling the way it was, my efficiency not being what it is. But just finding ways to help my teammates, which is draw attention, get easy layups for my teammates, help with doing all the little things. I'm just very happy that I was able to go out there and contribute in a big way. Carl, just what was the day like, getting ready for this, emotions coming to the arena, just going through your routine again for the first time and forever, and then just being introduced and hearing the ovation that you got? Shout out to the fans. The love they gave to me coming back, it truly helps.

And it really is appreciated, sitting in that house for so many days and not being able to play basketball, only being able to watch the TV. It's crazy. I understand how people feel at home when you're screaming at the TV, telling the players what to do, and then they not doing what you're telling them to do. It gets frustrating. So I'm just so happy that I'm in the spot where I'm able to contribute. And today was one of those days where I felt the whole day, I didn't feel really nervous. You're coming back, you feel nervous.

I just felt like I belonged in this jersey. I belonged in this jersey. I've earned the right in the moment to be in this jersey. So coming here, it just felt like a game day before I got hurt. And obviously, emotions are running high. I'm just so happy to be on the court. I'm excited to go back on the court.

But for me, experience just kicked in, just keeping my emotions in check, just truly appreciating moment, but not letting the moment overcome me. So I felt prepared the whole day. I came out the gate looking very prepared, but game changed a little bit before I got hurt. So I had to get accustomed. I had some defensive lapses that was things that we used to do before I got hurt. And then when I got on the court, I had no idea we had changed some coverages and principles of ours. So the teammates, I have to shout out to my teammates, all single one of them.

They were very patient with me. They understood that I was trying to find a flow, understand where the team was, because I wasn't there. We haven't had a practice with each other. I've come into this game with no practices, with anyone, no shoot around, just walking into the game, tying my shoes, and saying, let's go. So like I said, today was one of those days. The whole day, I was just feeling so blessed to be able to know that I was going to put this jersey on, and I was going to contribute to my team. And who would have thought seven seconds left, I get the ball, get fouled, three seconds left, you're going to free the line for two.

So beautiful moment. Like I said, it's what movies has made us, what dreams is made of. And I'm glad my movie had a good ending. You have, in some ways, a much different team personnel-wise around you, with Mike, Rudy's playing differently. And when he comes back, how are you feeling just in terms of your comfort level with the guys around you? I feel really good. I feel really good. I think that I feel I've worked tremendously hard in my game where I'm able to gel easily with others.

And I have an IQ that allows me to, like I said, even today, no practice, no shoot around, find people open, understand that there is B-Pockets. I think one of the best things we did today is when Nas came up. He set a screen. He slipped out. Both of the guys tried to double team me at the three-point line. Nas was wide open at the basket. I feel like that's one of the bigger plays in the game.

It gave us a chance to score when they were scoring. It stopped the bleeding a little bit. But like I said, I don't know how much more times I could express it. I'm just so blessed to be out here. I'm so happy to be with these guys. I mean, Jada McDaniels was special. Rudy was special tonight.

Every single person was special. We got a lot of contributions from everyone, especially Nas, who's been playing fantastic. And in my absence, I just truly got to show the world and everyone, why he's so valuable to us. And I mean, he's just a special player. I've known him since we was young. And we was on the same AAU team. And I've always known how special he was.

And I'm just so happy that the world gets to recognize it on a daily basis. Carl, you referenced the fans and the love you felt before. I think in the four months between the injury and now, a lot of fans were wondering how you were doing. We didn't hear a lot from you. We heard a lot from the team in terms of how you were doing. Did you feel that frustration? And why maybe was there so much silence around your recovery process? I just think that it's a tricky injury. It's a real tricky injury.

It's your calf. And I don't think anyone thinks I have Andre Acquedala calves or anything like that. So I have pretty Robert Covington size calves. So I knew it was a significant injury. I knew I didn't have a lot to work with. But everyone was just really worried about the re-injuring. And it could have been so much worse in the beginning.

And then if I get back out there too quick, wasn't already feeling right. But at the same time, I go on the court. I could do way worse than what I just did. So I just think it was such a tricky injury that everyone was trying to figure it out. And together, at the end of the day, we found a way to make it happen, feeling very recovered. MRI ultrasounds are great. So for me to be able to be in a spot, to have a calf, to just feel like I could walk and do stuff on a regular basis, while having that pain and having that huge tear in my calf.

It's a blessing to be back. And I think for my teammates, they were wondering the same thing. Like, a week goes by, it keeps going by. There's no update. They're trying to figure it out. I think, like I said, I've never had a soft tissue injury. So this is something that was totally different to me than what the two risk injuries I've had.

So different experience. I learned a lot. So much respect for those guys who come back from those tough injuries and continue to play at a high level.



news, timberwolves, karl-anthony towns

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post