Oscars 2023: Tom Cruise talks 'Top Gun: Maverick' | FOX 5's DMV Zone

Oscars 2023: Tom Cruise talks 'Top Gun: Maverick' | FOX 5's DMV Zone



That's right. It almost seems like he came by so much faster. I know, can't believe we're already here with that. Here we are. It's the big Oscars weekend. And of course, Kevin's not here. He's in Los Angeles awaiting the big night on Sunday.

But he did leave us with some things to share with you. He went into the Fox 5 archives in Doug Deep, and we're hearing from the best picture, nominee Tom Cruise himself. Mr. Cruise, this is an honor. I have been waiting two years to ask you this question. When that trailer came out and you launched off that aircraft carrier and that wonder, and you jolt, it's so freaking awesome. I always wanted that catch shot.

I wanted that shot. I wanted that shot in the first Top Gun. And I was thinking about it, and part of my, even the first Top Gun, I was like, you got to, I've got to fly in the F-14, you've got to film in the F-14. And obviously the technology is significantly different. But that moment, I'm glad you said that, because that moment, that was the first, I didn't show the studio any of the aerial footage when we were shooting. We were shooting, and I finally, it was about five weeks into it, we assembled the footage, and I went and I presented it to the studio, and to everyone involved, and that shot was, when we got that, I was like, oh man, these guys, it was extraordinary. They had an audience to be able to experience something like that.

It's not what I am, it's who I am. What does that line mean to you as Tom Cruise, and what does it mean to you as Maverick? Well, Maverick, I think it's very clear, he is who he is, and he's just, he's just a little push. Do you know what I mean? Like, it's like, you feel that character, you know, and it's something that I think we can all identify with, you know, when we have a passion. And for me, I feel doubly blessed to be here tonight after, you know, the times, and to be able to share this. I've wanted to make movies since I was a kid, four years old, and when I started making movies, I thought I'd like to do this the rest of my life. It's a privilege to be here tonight, the film that people have been asking for for 36 years. Yeah, here's the thing, Tom Cruise is really the big winner in Hollywood.

He brought people back into the movie theater during the pandemic, and maybe we'll see the Academy thinking it with a little wink one way or the other. He is nominated for Best Picture with Top Gun Maverick. So of course, we're going to make our own Oscars predictions, but let's talk with a professional first Kevin and what his predictions are. Hey, Marina and Joe, it's Kevin McCarthy here. I'm in Los Angeles for the movie Murder Mystery 2. I just spoke with Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler. We're going to have those interviews coming up soon on DMVZO and also Good Day DC.

I'm going to give you a quick lightning round for the Oscars happening this Sunday. As you all know, the Oscars are my Super Bowl. I'm going to go through the major categories very quickly here and tell you what I think is going to win in the supporting actress category. Right now, I'm still hoping that Angela Bassett wins this, but because the Oscars are happening so late this year, this Sunday, March 12th, momentum does change, and she had a.Bassett had a lot of momentum early on in the award season. But now, Jamie the Curtis won the SAG Award, and then you also have Kerry Condon for the band, she's a Vinteshiren who won the BAFTA. I'm still picking Angela Bassett because she deserves to win for Black Panther and Wakanda forever, but don't be surprised if you hear Jamie the Curtis's name called for Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Speaking of Everything Everywhere All at Once, Kihoi Kwan, this is the biggest lock of the night, in my opinion, he's going to win supporting actor for Everything Everywhere All at Once and deservedly so. In the actress category, this comes down to two major actresses, Kate Blanchett for Tar as well as Michelle Yeo for Everything Everywhere All at Once. Kate Blanchett has won two Oscars in the previous years with the Aviator and Blue Jasmine. Michelle Yeo, I think, deserves this award, and she won the SAG, and I do believe that she will win on Sunday night. Actor, again, this is a coin toss. Brendan Fraser for the Whale or Austin Butler for Elvis, it could be either one. You know, Butler won the Golden Globe, Butler also won the BAFTA, Brendan Fraser won the Critics' Choice, and Brendan Fraser won the SAG.

I'm taking Brendan Fraser, but it could be either one. Also, you could see a split. It could also go to Colin Farrell. And then real quick, Best Picture and Best Director, that's going to be Everything Everywhere All at Once for Best Picture, and also the Directors, the Daniels. Don't be surprised, though. You could see a Top Gun Maverick. A win slip in there, possibly.

Well, you never know, but right now, I think it's going to be Everything Everywhere All at Once. I love you guys, and miss y'all, and I'll see you in studio on Monday morning. Evan, he's going to need a lot of caffeine after the Oscars. Oh, my gosh, he's going to be so exhausted. You know, I think a lot of us were talking a little bit about Brendan Fraser, and I feel like he is such a shoe-in for that Best Actor category, and he's just done remarkable things with that movie, The Whale, so fingers crossed for him. Do you have a movie pick here at all? You know, honestly, I'm not going to lie, I really haven't seen that many movies right now. But you're not the only one that's so sick, because I think a lot of people have no idea what's out there.

It's like, what? Everything Everywhere All at Once? Yes. I've heard so much about that one, but I've also heard it's a little strange. You've got to be in a. It took me like three tries to get to it, so yeah. That's my pick, and I think it's because Hollywood will go with something crazy, but I'm with Kevin. I think Tom Cruise is going to sneak in and win somewhere. I'd like to see that.

We'll see when he comes back on Monday.



dmv-zone, oscars, tom cruise, maverick, top gun, los angeles

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post