Mariska Hargitay talks Benson and Stabler, Richard Belzer

Mariska Hargitay talks Benson and Stabler, Richard Belzer



being here for the for the long haul. Yeah, I sort of see what life throws at me and I'm so happy to be here sort of trust the process who knows where I'll be in three years. Where will she be in three years how about 22 years that was Rich Carcate chatting with Al about law and order SVU back in 2001. I meant 23 years. Can you not leave it? I know what I read this morning that you are the long Olivia Benson is the longest running character in television history. That's incredible. It's crazy.

I'm still downloading all of it. I mean why do you think it has such staying power? People love this show. I think that it is a smart show or respectful show deals with such tender issues that so many people deal with and it deals with them respectfully and honoring and everyone wants to be seen and I think the culture is ready to look at something and deal with something that they historically haven't been ready to deal with and I think the setup of the show with Olivia being the maternal figure and Elliot being you know the paternal figure that I say maternal and paternal figure I think was sort of the perfect archetype in that victims could come forward and feel safe and seen and fought for. Yeah absolutely we and in addition to being the longest running character you're also an executive producer of the series and a director of the series and we actually have a sneak peek of tonight's new episode let's roll a clip. Mr. Humphrey's how you doing? I'm Captain Benson. I never forget a gorgeous face or an hourglass figure.

Well the cafeteria downstairs may have just added a few extra minutes to it. I'm sorry. You direct this episode it's an unusual one it's not you you took some kind of artistic risks didn't you with some flashbacks I don't want to give too much away but yeah well the first thing I'll say is that our show runner David Graziano and Julie Martin wrote one of the most beautiful episodes I think I've I've really ever read and it's a bit of a departure from what we usually do and there are a whole lot of surprises in it and I was so deeply honored because that they trusted me with this material and people will see why tonight. It is different. It is different and I have to say I was so excited and you know every time you direct I have such reverence and respect for the role of directing and I'm always terrified and yet this time because I hadn't directed in three years it was so fun to to see what I had learned just from being on set for that long and then I got the good good fortune and the blessing and the privilege and and just the honor to work with Bradley Whitford. Oh yeah. Who is one of the greatest actors I've ever worked with and then also Nancy Travis came and and my co-stars came to play in such a beautiful way and Octavio you know one of the new characters on SVU tonight is so brilliant in this as is Ice Tea and the new kids and I just love working with Peter Scannabino and there's such an effortlessness and it was one of the most joyous creative highlights of my time at SVU.

I mean you bring so much to it now having played the character but now bringing that other side behind the scenes you mentioned Ice Tea or shall we say I see because you spoke at his Hollywood star ceremony the walk of fame. Yes yes yes. Why that can't I why what is that call why Hollywood walk of fame. Thank you. I know why. It's so funny because I wasn't planning you know I'd written this beautiful speech and I was like how am I gonna honor him how am I gonna honor him this you know Titan in the business and then that just came up because my relationship with him is so cozy. And what you said about him was beautiful.

It was a beautiful speech but Ice Tea is a very cute nickname. Well I call him Ice Tea. Marischke. You know we all have a lot of nicknames for each other. I know. You're not gonna tell me are you. No I'm not.

But he I'm the only one that's allowed to call him Ice Tea. And so I'm glad you told me that because if I tried it. Oh don't don't don't. Not good. He's actually the sweetest man alive. And the kindest and the most gentle. And you know Richard Belzer passed and you also wrote a lovely tribute to him and he was just I mean what a heart and soul part of the show for a long long time.

What a heart and soul. That was he was family. Yeah. And taught me so much about taking risks and creativity and trust and he brought so much joy to the set and boy did this man love children. He was you know this acerbic quick-witted brilliant mind and yet he would melt in the sight of a child. He was just such a beautiful and complex and such a privilege to know him. Well you are just so well spoken.

I really like it. Will you speak at some if I please speak at my funeral. What's that you morpid. No I'd be honored. Okay good. You're like this is taking a weird turn. Okay before I let you go.

Yeah I can't know what I say about you. Hold on. I'm just gonna say it. What. Badass. Oh yeah. Thank you.

I think you are such a badass and I have such respect for you and I want to say that. Oh my gosh. And you know when and why I think that but so do a lot of people and the way you are and the way you carry yourself. I want I want to say that. You're so kind and thank you. That's true. Now I don't know what to do.

I don't know what to do. Oh my god. Yeah that's right. That's right my queen. All right I was gonna ask you about that. Tell me. Tell me.

Just all right just tell us real quick. Do they do it or not. Oh okay I'll just tell you right now. Yeah okay she's not gonna tell you. All you need to know is Benzenenstabler. Hello. Benzenenstabler love each other deeply.

How deeply. She just said that. There it is. There it is. It's so deep. I know and we love it. Yes.

We just love wondering and you know the show is probably only gonna go another 23 years. Yeah. So I think we should just wait and see. Exactly. You gotta keep the suspense. Yeah. Keep it alive.

Mariska what a pleasure and unexpected. You're such a sweetheart. Wow. Thank you so much. Thank you. Being here being a your sister. I know that.

And you can catch this new episode of Law and Order S.V.U. tonight at 9 8 central here on NBC Streams tomorrow on Peacock. Sorry it's a love fest. It's a love fest. It's a love.

It's a love fest. It's a love fest. All the feel of what I like. Hey thanks for watching. Don't miss the today show every weekday at 11 a.m. Eastern 8 Pacific on our streaming channel today all day.

To watch head to today dot com slash all day or click the link right here.



Al Roker, Entertainment, Food, Hoda Kotb, International News, Money, Natalie Morales, Savannah Gutherie, Sports, Style, Today, Today Show, breaking news, concerts, domestic news, health, home, interviews, media, parents, pets, politics, shopping, weather

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post