Ukraine hairdresser hunts drones by night

Ukraine hairdresser hunts drones by night



My name is Shamsha Oleksandr. Before February 24th, 2022, I worked as a hairdresser. Now, at the time of war, I carry out military tasks. Hairdresser by day, drone hunter by night. Oleksandr Shamsha is among tens of thousands of volunteers, helping to defend the skies over Ukraine against Russian attacks. One year since Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered tens of thousands of troops into Ukraine on a special military operation, Ukraine is becoming increasingly adept at shooting down Russian missiles and drones. Shamsha takes pride in his own role.

His unit, which includes a lawyer and a businessman, responds to air radlers in and around Kiev. What did you say? Using a thermal camera with a rangefinder, they spot Iranian-made Shahid-136 drones and shoot them down with a restored World War II machine gun. I am a very happy person. Why? Because I am defending my country. I am defending our Ukrainian people. But at the same time, I can come to the beauty salon and work with the people, do the work I know, cut hair and talk to clients. Shamsha was an army reservist before the war.

Soon after Russia invaded, he learned that his military base had been destroyed by shelling. So he joined territorial defences, initially delivering food to civilians and helping evacuate people. I wanted to defend people and it is not because it is a duty. It is because I want to do it. What else could I do? It did not even occur to me to run away or hide somewhere. No. During one night in December 2022, Shamshua said his rooftop unit managed to shoot down two drones over Kiev.

If needed, I will sacrifice my life. I will not think twice about it. When working in his salon, he says he tries to keep conversation with his clients light. You should not upset a woman. A woman should be happy. Because if she is not, being here could be more scary than being over there. My dreams? I dream of the end of the war.

But only on certain terms. Only if we win. The war can end only on our terms. There can be no negotiations. Because the enemy is sly. And if we start negotiating, they will use the time to build up their forces, to boost troops, gather more rockets. And soon, the same thing will happen again.



reuters, news, top news, headlines, breaking news, news today, thomson reuters, reuters youtube, markets today, bloomberg, Ukraine, russia, Oleksandr Shamshur, Drone hunter, hairdresser, War in ukraine

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post