UFC returns to San Antonio for the first time since 2019

UFC returns to San Antonio for the first time since 2019



For the first time since 2019, the UFC is back in the Alamo City with a card that's sure to excite fighting fans. Saturday night, the AT&T Center will play host to the UFC Fight Night. Ken's five-photo journalist, Mike Vihel, shows us what to expect when the bell goes off in the octagon. UFC is back in San Antonio for the first time since the pandemic. Saturday's main event features an exciting matchup between two of the top contenders in the stacked Bantamweight division. Fifth-ranked contender, Corey the Sandman Sanhagen will take on the number three-ranked Marlin Cito Vera. Marlin is a dog.

He presses forward. He's a very rooted fighter. His feet are usually on the floor, so he's able to get shots off really quickly. Just the fact that he's a guy that is preparing himself to beat me up, I've got to be worried about it. I wake up every morning thinking there's a lot of job to get done. It's a battle at 135 pounds that may place the winner in a good position for a future title fight. What's more exciting than two kickboxers, some of the best kickboxers in the division going at it.

In the co-main event, former women's Bantamweight champion Holly Holm takes on the Russian-born Yana Santos. I've had a good fight in Texas so far. I've got a couple knockouts here, so my plan is to get a good win again. I'm not saying I'm searching for a knockout because I want to be prepared for three rounds of war just in case. The two women are former sparring partners from years ago, but they don't see that meaning too much when they come face-to-face Saturday night. We don't have anything between us. I have only respect for her before or after the fight, but I don't take this personal.

I'm still going to bring my best. Finally, one of our own will also be stepping into the octagon during the pre-limbs. I'm going out there and I'm fighting for my younger self who dreamt this up. San Antonio native CJ Vergara will be fighting Brazilian Daniel Lacerda in a flyweight matchup. CJ says this one is special since he got his start here in San Antonio. I can't describe it in words, but I'll tell you this. When my first introduction to fighting overall was in high school, I had a backyard fight club.

It was about 10 miles down the road. At the time, I was telling everybody that I was going to be in the UFC someday. So here I am in that full circle moment, living out that manifestation and dream that I set out to in front of my hometown crowd. CJ and the rest of the UFC stars are hoping to put on a performance to remember and to inspire. If I can go out and fight in front of a bunch of people in San Antonio and they can fall in love with the sport the same way that I fell in love with the sport, when I went to my first couple of shows, I'll never know about it, but that would be worth more than millions to me. Mike Vihill, KENZ5.



sports

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post