Gov. Glenn Youngkin wraps up town hall on education

Gov. Glenn Youngkin wraps up town hall on education



an hour ago, Virginia Governor Glenn Yunkin wrapped up a town hall on education. Yeah, this aired on CNN and the questions came from Virginia voters. Casey Nolan is in the newsroom to tell us about one moment that stood out. Case or the topics for this town hall ranged from safety in schools to students mental health, but Governor Yunkin took one pointed question about his policy on gender identity in Virginia public schools from an Arlington student 17 year old Nico. Take a look. Governor Yunkin, your transgender mother policy required that students play on the sports teams and use the restrooms that correspond with their sex assigned at birth. Look at me.

I am a transgender man. Do you really think that the girls in my high school would feel comfortable sharing a restroom with me? So first of all, Nico, thank you for again asking the question being here tonight and engaging in this important discussion. I believe first, when parents are engaged with their children, then you can make good decisions together and I met your dad and I'm glad that you're both here together. That's really, really important. I also think that there are lots of students involved in this decision and what's most important is that we try very hard to accommodate students. That's why I have said many, many times we just need extra bathrooms in schools. We need general neutral bathrooms and so people can use a bathroom that they in fact are comfortable with.

I think sports are very clear and I don't think it's controversial. I don't think that biological boys should be playing sports with biological girls. This town hall was in DC tonight and outside the CNN studio, a group of Virginia students protested the governor's presence and his policies. They call themselves the Pride Liberation Project, a student run group of LGBTQ plus people and allies. This was a big national stage for Virginia's governor who's been at the center of a lot of buzz as a possible Republican candidate for president. But one of his political advisors told the Washington Post this was not about him. It was about his work getting the national attention.

Leslie and that attention is not going to go away. Alright, Casey, thank you.



education, news

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post