Black designers rule the runway at NYFW

Black designers rule the runway at NYFW



Well, at the young age of five, K.J. Moody discovered his love for fashion. And how could he not? He grew up watching his aunt Tina Knowles design costumes and gowns for Destiny's child. Well, his cousin Beyonce, well, became quite a style icon. So K.J.

took that inspiration from his childhood and created his own career in the fashion industry, making sure that all of his clients, famous or not, are able to express themselves through their style. K.J. joins us now to talk not only New York Fashion Week, but we are celebrating Black History Month as well. So he's here to spotlight black designers as they've been ruling the runway and lighten up some fabulous new looks. Good to see you, K.J.

Hello. Thank you so much for having me. So I'm curious, what was so stylish at the age of five that made you want to go into the biz? You know, just the glamour of fashion and the lights and the sequence and the colors, I just fell in love with it. Well, that makes sense. So let's talk about the black designers that just ruled the runway with so many various designs. What stood out to you as you have been watching Fashion Week this week? I was really happy with the shows this year. I think Sergio Hudson was incredible.

He really tapped into Barbeque, which is something that is very fresh and something that we all love. And then Laquan Smith had an amazing show this year. And he mixed street wear and high-end fashion. And I thought it was beautiful. So what are some of the new fashion trends that you're loving right now? Something that I think is back is the hot shorts. I think they are new. Hot shorts? Do we have pictures of hot shorts? Do we have those visuals? Because we don't? Oh my gosh.

We're working on it right now. We must see these. Because I want to see how these have changed from back in the day. But go ahead, talk to me about it. Sergio Hudson did really great hot shorts mixed with beautiful blazers. And also Laquan Smith did really great hot shorts mixed with mesh and sheer colors. Those are a pair.

It's a romper, but that's a hot short. Yes. Is this considered a hot short? It is. It's considered a hot short. This is more like hot bathing suit bottom to me. Not hot short. Throw on a stocking and a shoe.

Okay. Well, you got to make sure you've got some good cheeks to rock those hot shorts. Let me tell you what. They look beautiful for sure. All right. So you've got a dish on your cus. What's it like to style Beyonce? And then talk to us about, of course, how she's empowered, not just black women, KJ, but all women.

You know, it's amazing. It's definitely something that I learn every single day. I learn more and I learn more. And I'm super grateful to be able to work for someone like her. I think there is a beautiful history to being an African American woman in this industry. And I think she has really paved the way for not only black women, but women in general. As we saw, she just broke a world record at the Grammys.

Yeah. And looking absolutely stunning, of course. All right. Louis Vuitton, officially naming Pharrell Williams as the next men's creative director. Let's talk about this. I mean, this is this is a big deal. How do you what kind of impact do you think he'll have on black culture and mainstream fashion with this gig? I think it's amazing.

I think Pharrell has been the blueprint for the long time. He's been a blueprint to not only black people, but to the fashion industry. I think he's super trendy. I think he's trendsetting. And I'm really interested to see what he does with Louis Vuitton. I'm surprising because he was such a Chanel, you know, rep for a long time. So I'm interested to see how he merges from Chanel to Louis Vuitton.

All right, KJ. Finally, final question, because you are still in your 20s, which is amazing to me. You have moved so quickly up the fashion ladder. Your advice for young stylists that are watching this thinking, hmm, I'd like to be the next KJ Moody. Just keep working. You're going to be told lots of no's. I still get told no's every single day.

But just keep working, keep pushing. And when it's your time, it'll be your time. Don't give up. Awesome advice and happy belated birthday, by the way. Thank you so much.



2023, Black, Celebrity, Fashion, NYFW, New, Stylist, York, abc, abcnl, black, collections, designers, history, news, p_cmsid=2494279, p_vid=news-97230561, runway, top, trends, update

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post