At least 13 dead after Israel launches airstrikes on Gaza

At least 13 dead after Israel launches airstrikes on Gaza



Tonight, the Holy Land once again on the brink of war. Fighting in the occupied West Bank, hours after Israel launched a wave of airstrikes on Gaza, killing at least 13 people. Three of them were senior figures in the Palestinian Islamic Jihad militant group. Responsible, Israel's Prime Minister says, for firing more than 100 rockets last week. Those who seek to arm Israel will be harmed. Those who kill our citizens will pay a heavy price. But the fighter's wives, children and other civilians also killed in the strike.

This is the daughter of a local dentist. Where's my dad, she asks. She doesn't know he was killed in the attack, along with her mom and her brother. Her father's colleagues in mourning. We feel very, very sorry. We were very sad. This very gentleman, doctor, is a victim of this aggression.

We don't expect that. It is very painful to us. Israel's military says it does everything it can to avoid harming innocence. But the strikes hit residential areas while families were sleeping, making civilian deaths almost inevitable. Islamic Jihad vowing to avenge its fallen leaders. And across southern Israel, communities bracing for their response. Iron Dome missile defense batteries like these have been on high alert all across southern Israel ready to defend towns and cities from Palestinian retaliation.

Israeli authorities closing roads and shutting schools near the border. Going to school, if it's too dangerous, then kids are going to stay at home. The question now, whether the more powerful militant group Hamas will throw its full support behind Islamic Jihad. A move that could lead to all-out war. And Rast Sanchez joins us now from Tel Aviv. You mentioned right at the end of your piece this question on what Hamas will do next. Have we heard anything from Hamas so far? Yeah, Jake, Hamas is really keeping everybody guessing.

Their political leader has said they will be part of a unified response alongside Islamic Jihad. But what really matters is what their military wing decides to do on the ground. And we just don't have an answer to that yet. Israel for its part is really trying to signal to Hamas that if they stay out of the fighting they will not target either their leaders or their facilities inside Gaza. Jake? And you were down on the Israel-Gaza border earlier today. I know people who live there. I'm going to go back to the question.

I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question.

I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question. I'm going to go back to the question.



NBC News NOW

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post