Teenager rescued from rubble nearly 11 days after earthquakes hit Turkey

Teenager rescued from rubble nearly 11 days after earthquakes hit Turkey



248 hours after a catastrophic earthquake shook southern Turkey, the miracles don't stop. This is 17-year-old Elena Olmez rescued this morning from the rubble of a building in the Turkish city of Kahraman, Marash. She's carried to awaiting ambulance. The crowd celebrates with applause. At the local university hospital, Elena smiles as she tells reporters how she survived the 11 days. I'm fine, thank you. She says, I had nothing with me.

I just tried to pass the time. For family members, Elena's rescue is an answered prayer. But for many other families in Kahraman, Marash, the desperate search continues. One of the missing 11-year-old Hadeyat Ella Gokshu, her grandparents, waiting for news from rescue workers all day and into the night. My hands are tied, she says, I want to find my granddaughter even if I freeze to death here waiting. Back at the university hospital, doctors get ready to send Elena to a bigger hospital in the capital city of Ankara. As she's moved, a reporter calls out, Elena, you'll be great.

We love you. All of Turkey loves you very much today. Matt Brodling, NBC News, Turkey.



NBC News NOW

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post